Dry shampoo Coral Springs explosion: blowing bathroom door off hinges

0
1937
Dry shampoo Coral Springs explosion: blowing bathroom door off hinges
Dry shampoo Coral Springs explosion: blowing bathroom door off hinges

A blow-dryer left plugged in created enough heat to cause an aerosol can of dry shampoo to explode in a northeast Calgary on Thursday afternoon, fire officials say.

A woman phoned 911 about 1 p.m. MT to report hearing an explosion on the second floor of her Coral Springs home.

She went upstairs and found a bathroom door had been blown off the hinges and some towels were on fire, which she put out.

Fire crews arrived and found remnants of a small explosion and fire.

“The fire investigator determined that a hair-dryer which had been plugged in created enough heat to cause an aerosol dry shampoo can sitting nearby to explode with substantial force,” said a release.

“The bathroom sustained damage to the door, cabinet and bathtub tiles as a result of the blast. The investigation will now focus on the hairdryer to determine any possible malfunction of the appliance.”

The fire department also shared some fire prevention tips, including:

Always unplug appliances such as curling irons, flat irons and blow-dryers that aren’t in use.
When done using appliances that create heat, place them on a hard, non-combustible surface and away from anything that can burn, until they have cooled down.
Use extreme caution with aerosol cans as they can cause a dangerous explosion if heated.
Always read the manufacturers’ instructions and warnings on all household products.
Ensure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home‚Äč.

Previous articleBen Affleck explains his reason for retiring as Batman, Report
Next articleSidewalk Labs expansion: NDP MP Angus may call on Ethics
To contact the editors responsible for this story: [email protected]

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.